Home School Online

Homeschooling Online – Together At Home!

By

Are homeschool kids different when they get to college?

Here’s a question that i’d like to hear some college students thoughts on.

From what you see in college, what are  your thoughts on homeschooling for K12?

Do you know kids in college who were homeschooled?
Are they better/worse prepared than the rest of you?
More or less mature? Are they generally different than the kids who went to public or private or parochial schools?

6 Responses to Are homeschool kids different when they get to college?

1. webmaster says:

My best friend here was homeschooled. He drinks less than me, he studies a little more, he’s clearly more mature and better educated, and he gets the best girls. Mostly we don’t talk about such things but sometimes, I ask him about it and I realize that he had a real education before coming here where I just worked hard to get grades, learning little.

2. Rebecca says:

I’ve homeschooled 2 of my kids through to college and 2 to highschool. The 2 that homeschooled up to college told me that they had to work hard NOT to appear homeschooled, and that it was easy to pick out the “homeschoolers” at college – nerdy, quiet, didn’t fit in well in the mileu. My daughter relied on jokes and making top grades and forming study groups to fit in. My son took up smoking (not my pick for fitting in, but I wasn’t there to control his behavior) as well as humor and acting.
    The son who went through public school highschool drank more and did drugs in college (not to say that my son who was homeschooled through highschool didn’t try drugs or drink)… this one just pushed the limits more … It’s interesting because they both had the same Christian foundations, AWANA, church, etc. But public school highschool eroded my efforts to fill out that foundation. JMHO
    My next daughter graduates from public high school this spring. My husband says the next four will NEVER darken the door of a public highschool after that. Regardless of whether they stick out in college or not – we will help them to mix and give them social skills any way we can, but we will not allow them to be destroyed by the values of public school.

3. Rebecca says:

4. webmaster says:

Rebecca – thanks for the insightful and candid comment. I’d love to know more about this topic. I suspect that it depends a great deal on what type of college that they go to. If they go to a serious academic school, they fit in more easily. If they end up in more of a social college, like many of the state institutitions, they would not fit in at all.

I personally think that a lot more attention needs to be paid to how messed up our post secondary education system is.

Unlike K12, where the kids still have their family involvement day to day, the college environment isolates kids in a new environment which is often, unhealthy and potential dangerous. It’s obvious to anyone near a college campus yet we keep allowing this to continue. Weird.

5. bob says:

I am a friend of a home schooler that has been homeschooled since second grade and she has no (none whatsoever) SOCIAL SKILLS!! I go to a private school and she would not last a day! i think homeschooling is ok but not really my choice i would miss the social-ness!

6. rita says:

is it hard to get your kid in a college after homeschooling my son does abeka I ‘m talking about a university or jr college?